Find a word
Dictionary definition for:
1. (n) the trait of lacking restraint or control; freedom from inhibition or worry; "she danced with abandon"
2. (v) forsake, leave behind; "We abandoned the old car in the empty parking lot"
3. (n) a feeling of extreme emotional intensity; "the wildness of his anger"
4. (v) stop maintaining or insisting on; of ideas, claims, etc.; "He abandoned the thought of asking for her hand in marriage" "Both sides have to give up some calims in these negociations"
5. (v) give up with the intent of never claiming again; "Abandon your life to God" "She gave up her children to her ex-husband when she moved to Tahiti" "We gave the drowning victim up for dead"
6. (v) leave behind empty; move out of; "You must vacate your office by tonight"
7. (v) leave someone who needs or counts on you; leave in the lurch; "The mother deserted her children"
WordNet 2.1 Copyright Princeton University. All rights reserved.