Find a word
Dictionary definition for:
1. (n) distinctive manner of oral expression; "he couldn''t suppress his contemptuous accent" "she had a very clear speech pattern"
2. (v) to stress, single out as important; "Dr. Jones emphasizes exercise in addition to a change in diet"
3. (n) special importance or significance; "the red light gave the central figure increased emphasis" "the room was decorated in shades of gray with distinctive red accents"
4. (v) put stress on; utter with an accent; "In Farsi, you accent the last syllable of each word"
5. (n) the usage or vocabulary that is characteristic of a specific group of people; "the immigrants spoke an odd dialect of English" "he has a strong German accent"
6. (n) the relative prominence of a syllable or musical note (especially with regard to stress or pitch) "he put the stress on the wrong syllable"
7. (n) a diacritical mark used to indicate stress or placed above a vowel to indicate a special pronunciation
WordNet 2.1 Copyright Princeton University. All rights reserved.