Find a word
Dictionary definition for:
1. (n) a fact or assertion offered as evidence that something is true; "it was a strong argument that his hypothesis was true"
2. (n) a contentious speech act; a dispute where there is strong disagreement; "they were involved in a violent argument"
3. (n) a discussion in which reasons are advanced for and against some proposition or proposal; "the argument over foreign aid goes on and on"
4. (n) a summary of the subject or plot of a literary work or play or movie; "the editor added the argument to the poem"
5. (n) a variable in a logical or mathematical expression whose value determines the dependent variable; if f(x)=y, x is the independent variable
WordNet 2.1 Copyright Princeton University. All rights reserved.