Find a word
Dictionary definition for:
1. (n) the power or right to give orders or make decisions; "he has the authority to issue warrants" "deputies are given authorization to make arrests"
2. (n) (usually plural) persons who exercise (administrative) control over others; "the authorities have issued a curfew"
3. (n) an expert whose views are taken as definitive; "he is an authority on corporate law"
4. (n) freedom from doubt; belief in yourself and your abilities; "his assurance in his superiority did not make him popular" "after that failure he lost his confidence" "she spoke with authority"
5. (n) an administrative unit of government; "the Central Intelligence Agency" "the Census Bureau" "Office of Management and Budget" "Tennessee Valley Authority"
6. (n) official permission or approval; "authority for the program was renewed several times"
7. (n) an authoritative written work; "this book is the final authority on the life of Milton"
WordNet 2.1 Copyright Princeton University. All rights reserved.