Find a word
Dictionary definition for:
1. (n) a piece of furniture that provides a place to sleep; "he sat on the edge of the bed" "the room had only a bed and chair"
2. (v) furnish with a bed; "The inn keeper could bed all the new arrivals"
3. (v) place (plants) in a prepared bed of soil
4. (n) a plot of ground in which plants are growing; "the gardener planted a bed of roses"
5. (n) a depression forming the ground under a body of water; "he searched for treasure on the ocean bed"
6. (v) put to bed; "The children were bedded at ten o''clock"
7. (v) have sexual intercourse with; "This student sleeps with everyone in her dorm" "Adam knew Eve" "Were you ever intimate with this man?"
8. (n) (geology) a stratum of rock (especially sedimentary rock) "they found a bed of standstone"
9. (v) go to bed in order to sleep; "I usually turn in at midnight" "He turns out at the crack of dawn"
10. (n) a stratum of ore or coal thick enough to be mined with profit; "he worked in the coal beds"
11. (n) single thickness of usually some homogeneous substance; "slices of hard-boiled egg on a bed of spinach"
12. (n) the flat surface of a printing press on which the type form is laid in the last stage of producing a newspaper or magazine or book etc.
13. (n) a foundation of earth or rock supporting a road or railroad track; "the track bed had washed away"
WordNet 2.1 Copyright Princeton University. All rights reserved.