Find a word
Dictionary definition for:
1. (n) a hollow device made of metal that makes a ringing sound when struck
2. (v) attach a bell to; "bell cows"
3. (n) a push button at an outer door that gives a ringing or buzzing signal when pushed
4. (n) the sound of a bell being struck; "saved by the bell" "she heard the distant toll of church bells"
5. (n) (nautical) each of the eight half-hour units of nautical time signaled by strokes of a ship''s bell; eight bells signals 4:00, 8:00, or 12:00 o''clock, either a.m. or p.m.
6. (n) the shape of a bell
7. (n) a phonetician and father of Alexander Graham Bell (1819-1905)
8. (n) English painter; sister of Virginia Woolf; prominent member of the Bloomsbury Group (1879-1961)
9. (n) United States inventor (born in Scotland) of the telephone (1847-1922)
10. (n) a percussion instrument consisting of vertical metal tubes of different lengths that are struck with a hammer
11. (n) the flared opening of a tubular device
WordNet 2.1 Copyright Princeton University. All rights reserved.