Find a word
Dictionary definition for:
1. (v) propose a payment; "The Swiss dealer offered $2 million for the painting"
2. (n) an authoritative direction or instruction to do something
3. (n) an attempt to get something; "they made a futile play for power" "he made a bid to gain attention"
4. (v) invoke upon; "wish you a nice evening" "bid farewell"
5. (n) a formal proposal to buy at a specified price
6. (v) ask for or request earnestly; "The prophet bid all people to become good persons"
7. (v) make a demand, as for a card or a suit or a show of hands; "He called his trump"
8. (n) (bridge) the number of tricks a bridge player is willing to contract to make
9. (v) make a serious effort to attain something; "His campaign bid for the attention of the poor population"
10. (v) ask someone in a friendly way to do something
WordNet 2.1 Copyright Princeton University. All rights reserved.