Find a word
Dictionary definition for:
1. (v) record a charge in a police register; "The policeman booked her when she tried to solicit a man"
2. (n) a written work or composition that has been published (printed on pages bound together) "I am reading a good book on economics"
3. (n) physical objects consisting of a number of pages bound together; "he used a large book as a doorstop"
4. (v) arrange for and reserve (something for someone else) in advance; "reserve me a seat on a flight" "The agent booked tickets to the show for the whole family" "please hold a table at Maxim''s"
5. (v) engage for a performance; "Her agent had booked her for several concerts in Tokyo"
6. (n) a record in which commercial accounts are recorded; "they got a subpoena to examine our books"
7. (v) register in a hotel booker
8. (n) a number of sheets (ticket or stamps etc.) bound together on one edge; "he bought a book of stamps"
9. (n) a compilation of the known facts regarding something or someone; "Al Smith used to say, "Let''s look at the record" "his name is in all the recordbooks"
10. (n) a major division of a long written composition; "the book of Isaiah"
11. (n) a written version of a play or other dramatic composition; used in preparing for a performance
12. (n) a collection of rules or prescribed standards on the basis of which decisions are made; "they run things by the book around here"
13. (n) the sacred writings of Islam revealed by God to the prophet Muhammad during his life at Mecca and Medina
14. (n) the sacred writings of the Christian religions; "he went to carry the Word to the heathen"
WordNet 2.1 Copyright Princeton University. All rights reserved.