Find a word
Dictionary definition for:
1. (n) ability to perform or produce
2. (n) the susceptibility of something to a particular treatment; "the capability of a metal to be fused"
3. (n) the amount that can be contained; "the gas tank has a capacity of 12 gallons"
4. (n) the maximum production possible; "the plant is working at 80 per cent capacity"
5. (n) a specified function; "he was employed in the capacity of director" "he should be retained in his present capacity at a higher salary"
6. (n) (computer science) the amount of information (in bytes) that can be stored on a disk drive; "the capacity of a hard disk drive is usually expressed in megabytes"
7. (n) an electrical phenomenon whereby an electric charge is stored
8. (n) the power to learn or retain knowledge; in law, the ability to understand the facts and significance of your behavior
9. (n) tolerance for alcohol; "he had drunk beyond his capacity"
WordNet 2.1 Copyright Princeton University. All rights reserved.