Find a word
Dictionary definition for:
1. (n) the act of forcibly dispossessing an owner of property
2. (v) succeed in representing or expressing something intangible; "capture the essence of Spring" "capture an idea"
3. (v) attract; cause to be enamored; "She captured all the men''s hearts"
4. (n) a process whereby a star or planet holds an object in its gravitational field
5. (v) succeed in catching or seizing, especially after a chase; "We finally got the suspect" "Did you catch the thief?"
6. (n) any process in which an atomic or nuclear system acquires an additional particle
7. (n) the act of taking of a person by force
8. (v) bring about the capture of an elementary particle or celestial body and causing it enter a new orbit; "This nucleus has captured the slow-moving neutrons" "The star captured a comet"
9. (n) the removal of an opponent''s piece from the chess board
10. (v) take possession of by force, as after an invasion; "the invaders seized the land and property of the inhabitants" "The army seized the town" "The militia captured the castle"
11. (v) capture as if by hunting, snaring, or trapping; "I caught a rabbit in the trap toady"
WordNet 2.1 Copyright Princeton University. All rights reserved.