Find a word
Dictionary definition for:
1. (n) a seat for one person, with a support for the back; "he put his coat over the back of the chair and sat down"
2. (v) act or preside as chair, as of an academic department in a university; "She chaired the department for many years"
3. (n) the position of professor; "he was awarded an endowed chair in economics"
4. (v) preside over; "John moderated the discussion"
5. (n) the officer who presides at the meetings of an organization; "address your remarks to the chairperson"
6. (n) an instrument of execution by electrocution; resembles a chair; "the murderer was sentenced to die in the chair"
WordNet 2.1 Copyright Princeton University. All rights reserved.