Find a word
Dictionary definition for:
1. (n) a relation of direct opposition; "we thought Sue was older than Bill but just the reverse was true"
2. (s) very opposed in nature or character or purpose; "acts contrary to our code of ethics" "the facts point to a contrary conclusion"
3. (n) exact opposition; "public opinion to the contrary he is not guilty"
4. (s) of words or propositions so related that both cannot be true but both may be false; "hot" and "cold" are contrary terms"
5. (n) two propositions are contraries if both cannot be true but both can be false
6. (s) resistant to guidance or discipline; "Mary Mary quite contrary" "an obstinate child with a violent temper" "a perverse mood" "wayward behavior"
7. (s) in an opposing direction; "adverse currents" "a contrary wind"
WordNet 2.1 Copyright Princeton University. All rights reserved.