Find a word
Dictionary definition for:
1. (s) made of fir or pine; "a plain deal table"
2. (v) deal with verbally or in some form of artistic expression; "This book deals with incest" "The course covered all of Western Civilization" "The new book treats the history of China"
3. (n) a particular instance of buying or selling; "it was a package deal" "I had no further trade with him" "he''s a master of the business deal"
4. (n) an agreement between parties (usually arrived at after discussion) fixing obligations of each; "he made a bargain with the devil" "he rose to prominence through a series of shady deals"
5. (v) take action with respect to (someone or something) "How are we going to deal with this problem?" "The teacher knew how to deal with these lazy students"
6. (n) (often followed by "of'') a large number or amount or extent; "a batch of letters" "a deal of trouble" "a lot of money" "he made a mint on the stock market" "it must have cost plenty"
7. (v) take into consideration for exemplifying purposes; "Take the case of China" "Consider the following case"
8. (v) come to terms or deal successfully with; "We got by on just a gallon of gas" "They made do on half a loaf of bread every day"
9. (n) a plank of softwood (fir or pine board)
10. (n) wood that is easy to saw (from conifers such as pine or fir)
11. (v) administer or bestow, as in small portions; "administer critical remarks to everyone present" "dole out some money" "shell out pocket money for the children" "deal a blow to someone"
12. (v) do business; offer for sale as for one''s livelihood; "She deals in gold" "The brothers sell shoes"
13. (n) the cards held in a card game by a given player at any given time; "I didn''t hold a good hand all evening" "he kept trying to see my hand"
14. (n) the type of treatment received (especially as the result of an agreement) "he got a good deal on his car"
15. (v) be in charge of, act on, or dispose of; "I can deal with this crew of workers" "This blender can''t handle nuts" "She managed her parents" affairs after they got too old"
16. (n) the act of distributing playing cards; "the deal was passed around the table clockwise"
17. (v) behave in a certain way towards others; "He deals fairly with his employees"
18. (n) the act of apportioning or distributing something; "the captain was entrusted with the deal of provisions"
19. (v) distribute to the players in a game; "Who''s dealing?"
20. (v) direct the course of; manage or control; "You cannot conduct business like this"
21. (v) give out as one''s portion or share
22. (v) give (a specific card) to a player; "He dealt me the Queen of Spades"
23. (v) sell; "deal hashish"
WordNet 2.1 Copyright Princeton University. All rights reserved.