Find a word
Dictionary definition for:
1. (n) the 3rd planet from the sun; the planet on which we live; "the Earth moves around the sun" "he sailed around the world"
2. (v) hide in the earth like a hunted animal
3. (n) the loose soft material that makes up a large part of the land surface; "they dug into the earth outside the church"
4. (v) connect to the earth; "earth the circuit"
5. (n) the solid part of the earth''s surface; "the plane turned away from the sea and moved back over land" "the earth shook for several minutes" "he dropped the logs on the ground"
6. (n) the abode of mortals (as contrasted with heaven or hell) "it was hell on earth"
7. (n) once thought to be one of four elements composing the universe (Empedocles)
8. (n) the concerns of the world as distinguished from heaven and the afterlife; "they consider the church to be independent of the world"
9. (n) a connection between an electrical device and the earth (which is a zero voltage)
WordNet 2.1 Copyright Princeton University. All rights reserved.