Find a word
Dictionary definition for:
1. (v) take in solid food; "She was eating a banana" "What did you eat for dinner last night?"
2. (v) eat a meal; take a meal; "We did not eat until 10 P.M. because there were so many phone calls" "I didn''t eat yet, so I gladly accept your invitation"
3. (v) take in food; used of animals only; "This dog doesn''t eat certain kinds of meat" "What do whales eat?"
4. (v) use up (resources or materials) "this car consumes a lot of gas" "We exhausted our savings" "They run through 20 bottles of wine a week"
5. (v) worry or cause anxiety in a persistent way; "What''s eating you?"
6. (v) cause to deteriorate due to the action of water, air, or an acid; "The acid corroded the metal" "The steady dripping of water rusted the metal stopper in the sink"
WordNet 2.1 Copyright Princeton University. All rights reserved.