Find a word
Dictionary definition for:
1. (v) call forth (emotions, feelings, and responses) "arouse pity" "raise a smile" "evoke sympathy"
2. (v) call forth; "Her behavior provoked a quarrel between the couple"
3. (v) deduce (a principle) or construe (a meaning) "We drew out some interesting linguistic data from the native informant"
4. (v) evoke or call forth, with or as if by magic; "raise the specter of unemployment" "he conjured wild birds in the air" "stir a disturbance" "call down the spirits from the mountain"
5. (v) call to mind or evoke
WordNet 2.1 Copyright Princeton University. All rights reserved.