Find a word
Dictionary definition for:
1. (n) a violent release of energy caused by a chemical or nuclear reaction
2. (n) the act of exploding or bursting something; "the explosion of the firecrackers awoke the children" "the burst of an atom bomb creates enormous radiation aloft"
3. (n) a sudden great increase; "the population explosion" "the information explosion"
4. (n) the noise caused by an explosion; "the explosion was heard a mile away"
5. (n) the terminal forced release of pressure built up during the occlusive phase of a stop consonant
6. (n) a sudden outburst; "an explosion of laughter" "an explosion of rage"
7. (n) a golf shot from a bunker that typically moves sand as well as the golf ball
WordNet 2.1 Copyright Princeton University. All rights reserved.