Find a word
Dictionary definition for:
1. (n) an emotion experienced in anticipation of some specific pain or danger (usually accompanied by a desire to flee or fight)
2. (v) be afraid or feel anxious or apprehensive about a possible or probable situation or event; "I fear she might get aggressive"
3. (n) an anxious feeling; "care had aged him" "they hushed it up out of fear of public reaction"
4. (v) be afraid or scared of; be frightened of; "I fear the winters in Moscow" "We should not fear the Communists!"
5. (n) a profound emotion inspired by a deity; "the fear of God"
6. (v) be sorry; used to introduce an unpleasant statement; "I fear I won''t make it to your wedding party"
7. (v) be uneasy or apprehensive about; "I fear the results of the final exams"
8. (v) regard with feelings of respect and reverence; consider hallowed or exalted or be in awe of; "Fear God as your father" "We venerate genius"
WordNet 2.1 Copyright Princeton University. All rights reserved.