Find a word
Dictionary definition for:
1. (n) a set of related records (either written or electronic) kept together
2. (v) record in a public office or in a court of law; "file for divorce" "file a complaint"
3. (n) a line of persons or things ranged one behind the other
4. (v) smooth with a file; "file one''s fingernails"
5. (n) office furniture consisting of a container for keeping papers in order
6. (v) proceed in line; "The students filed into the classroom"
7. (n) a steel hand tool with small sharp teeth on some or all of its surfaces; used for smoothing wood or metal
8. (v) file a formal charge against; "The suspect was charged with murdering his wife"
9. (v) place in a container for keeping records; "File these bills, please"
WordNet 2.1 Copyright Princeton University. All rights reserved.