Find a word
Dictionary definition for:
1. (s) tastelessly showy; "a flash car" "a flashy ring" "garish colors" "a gaudy costume" "loud sport shirts" "a meretricious yet stylish book" "tawdry ornaments"
2. (v) gleam or glow intermittently; "The lights were flashing"
3. (n) a sudden intense burst of radiant energy
4. (v) appear briefly; "The headlines flashed on the screen"
5. (n) a momentary brightness
6. (n) a short vivid experience; "a flash of emotion swept over him" "the flashings of pain were a warning"
7. (v) display proudly; act ostentatiously or pretentiously; "he showed off his new sports car"
8. (v) make known or cause to appear with great speed; "The latest intelligence is flashed to all command posts"
9. (n) a sudden brilliant understanding; "he had a flash of intuition"
10. (n) a very short time (as the time it takes the eye blink or the heart to beat) "if I had the chance I''d do it in a flash"
11. (v) run or move very quickly or hastily; "She dashed into the yard"
12. (n) a burst of light used to communicate or illuminate
13. (v) expose or show briefly; "he flashed a $100 bill"
14. (v) protect by covering with a thin sheet of metal; "flash the roof"
15. (n) a short news announcement concerning some on-going news story
16. (v) emit a brief burst of light; "A shooting star flashed and was gone"
17. (n) a bright patch of color used for decoration or identification; "red flashes adorned the airplane" "a flash sewn on his sleeve indicated the unit he belonged to"
18. (n) a lamp for providing momentary light to take a photograph
WordNet 2.1 Copyright Princeton University. All rights reserved.