Find a word
Dictionary definition for:
1. (v) to cause to do through pressure or necessity, by physical, moral or intellectual means :"She forced him to take a job in the city" "He squeezed her for information"
2. (n) a unit that is part of some military service; "he sent Caesar a force of six thousand men"
3. (v) urge or force (a person) to an action; constrain or motivate
4. (n) one possessing or exercising power or influence or authority; "the mysterious presence of an evil power" "may the force be with you" "the forces of evil"
5. (v) move with force, "He pushed the table into a corner"
6. (n) (physics) the influence that produces a change in a physical quantity; "force equals mass times acceleration"
7. (v) impose or thrust urgently, importunately, or inexorably; "She forced her diet fads on him"
8. (n) group of people willing to obey orders; "a public force is necessary to give security to the rights of citizens"
9. (v) squeeze like a wedge into a tight space; "I squeezed myself into the corner"
10. (n) a powerful effect or influence; "the force of his eloquence easily persuaded them"
11. (v) force into or from an action or state, either physically or metaphorically; "She rammed her mind into focus" "He drives me mad"
12. (n) an act of aggression (as one against a person who resists) "he may accomplish by craft in the long run what he cannot do by force and violence in the short one"
13. (v) do forcibly; exert force; "Don''t force it!"
14. (n) physical energy or intensity; "he hit with all the force he could muster" "it was destroyed by the strength of the gale" "a government has not the vitality and forcefulness of a living man"
15. (v) cause to move along the ground by pulling; "draw a wagon" "pull a sled"
16. (n) a group of people having the power of effective action; "he joined forces with a band of adventurers"
17. (v) take by force; "Storm the fort"
18. (n) (of a law) having legal validity; "the law is still in effect"
WordNet 2.1 Copyright Princeton University. All rights reserved.