Find a word
Dictionary definition for:
1. (n) the person who plays the position of forward on a basketball team
2. (v) send or ship onward from an intermediate post or station in transit; "forward my mail"
3. (a) at or near or directed toward the front; "the forward section of the aircraft" "a forward plunge down the stairs" "forward motion"
4. (r) at or to or toward the front; "he faced forward" "step forward" "she practiced sewing backward as well as frontward on her new sewing machine" (`forrad" and "forrard" are dialectal variations)
5. (n) a position on a basketball team
6. (s) moving toward a position ahead; "forward motion" "the onward course of events"
7. (r) forward in time or order or degree; "from that time forth" "from the sixth century onward"
8. (r) toward the future; forward in time; "I like to look ahead in imagination to what the future may bring" "I look forward to seeing you"
9. (a) used of temperament or behavior; lacking restraint or modesty; "a forward child badly in need of discipline"
10. (r) in a forward direction; "go ahead" "the train moved ahead slowly" "the boat lurched ahead" "moved onward into the forest" "they went slowly forward in the mud"
11. (a) of the transmission gear causing forward movement in a motor vehicle; "in a forward gear"
12. (s) moving forward
13. (r) near or toward the bow of a ship or cockpit of a plane; "the captain went fore (or forward) to check the instruments"
14. (s) situated at or toward the front; "the fore cabins" "the forward part of the ship"
15. (s) situated in the front; "the forward section of the aircraft"
WordNet 2.1 Copyright Princeton University. All rights reserved.