Find a word
Dictionary definition for:
1. (s) an achromatic color of any lightness between the extremes of black and white; "gray flannel suit" "hair just turning gray"
2. (n) a neutral achromatic color midway between white and black
3. (v) make gray; "The painter decided to grey the sky"
4. (s) showing characteristics of age, especially having gray or white hair; "whose beard with age is hoar"-Coleridge; "nodded his hoary head"
5. (v) turn gray; "Her hair began to gray"
6. (n) gray clothing; "he was dressed in gray"
7. (n) any organization or party whose uniforms or badges are gray; "the Confederate army was a vast gray"
8. (s) darkened with overcast; "a dark day" "a dull sky" "a gray rainy afternoon" "gray clouds" "the sky was leaden and thick"
9. (s) used to signify the Confederate forces in the Civil War (who wore gray uniforms) "a stalwart gray figure"
10. (n) horse of a light grey or whitish color
11. (n) English poet best known for his elegy written in a country church-yard (1716-1771)
12. (s) intermediate in character or position; "a gray area between clearly legal and strictly illegal"
13. (n) American navigator who twice circumnavigated the globe and who discovered the Columbia River (1755-1806)
14. (n) United States botanist who specialized in North American flora and who was an early supporter of Darwin''s theories of evolution (1810-1888)
WordNet 2.1 Copyright Princeton University. All rights reserved.