Find a word
Dictionary definition for:
1. (s) an achromatic color of any lightness between the extremes of black and white; "gray flannel suit" "hair just turning gray"
2. (v) make gray; "The painter decided to grey the sky"
3. (n) United States writer of western adventure novels (1875-1939)
4. (s) showing characteristics of age, especially having gray or white hair; "whose beard with age is hoar"-Coleridge; "nodded his hoary head"
5. (v) turn gray; "Her hair began to gray"
6. (n) Queen of England for nine days in 1553; she was quickly replaced by Mary Tudor and beheaded for treason (1537-1554)
7. (n) Englishman who as Prime minister implemented social reforms including the abolition of slavery throughout the British Empire (1764-1845)
8. (s) used to signify the Confederate forces in the Civil War (who wore gray uniforms) "a stalwart gray figure"
9. (n) any organization or party whose uniforms or badges are gray; "the Confederate army was a vast gray"
10. (s) intermediate in character or position; "a gray area between clearly legal and strictly illegal"
11. (n) a neutral achromatic color midway between white and black
12. (s) darkened with overcast; "a dark day" "a dull sky" "a gray rainy afternoon" "gray clouds" "the sky was leaden and thick"
13. (n) gray clothing; "he was dressed in gray"
WordNet 2.1 Copyright Princeton University. All rights reserved.