Find a word
Dictionary definition for:
1. (s) broken or pounded into small fragments; used of e.g. ore or stone; "paved with crushed bluestone" "ground glass is used as an abrasive"
2. (v) fix firmly and stably; "anchor the lamppost in concrete"
3. (n) the solid part of the earth''s surface; "the plane turned away from the sea and moved back over land" "the earth shook for several minutes" "he dropped the logs on the ground"
4. (v) confine or restrict to the ground; "After the accident, they grounded the plane and the pilot"
5. (n) a rational motive for a belief or action; "the reason that war was declared" "the grounds for their declaration"
6. (v) place or put on the ground
7. (n) the loose soft material that makes up a large part of the land surface; "they dug into the earth outside the church"
8. (v) instruct someone in the fundamentals of a subject
9. (n) a relation that provides the foundation for something; "they were on a friendly footing" "he worked on an interim basis"
10. (n) a position to be won or defended in battle (or as if in battle) "they gained ground step by step" "they fought to regain the lost ground"
11. (v) bring to the ground; "the storm grounded the ship"
12. (n) the part of a scene (or picture) that lies behind objects in the foreground; "he posed her against a background of rolling hills"
13. (v) hit or reach the ground
14. (n) material in the top layer of the surface of the earth in which plants can grow (especially with reference to its quality or use) "the land had never been plowed" "good agricultural soil"
15. (v) throw to the ground in order to stop play and avoid being tackled behind the line of scrimmage
16. (n) a relatively homogeneous percept extending back of the figure on which attention is focused
17. (v) hit a groundball; "he grounded to the second baseman"
18. (n) a connection between an electrical device and the earth (which is a zero voltage)
19. (v) hit onto the ground
20. (v) cover with a primer; apply a primer to
21. (n) (art) the surface (as a wall or canvas) prepared to take the paint for a painting
22. (v) connect to a ground; "ground the electrical connections for safety reasons"
23. (n) the first or preliminary coat of paint or size applied to a surface
24. (v) use as a basis for; found on; "base a claim on some observation"
WordNet 2.1 Copyright Princeton University. All rights reserved.