Find a word
Dictionary definition for:
1. (n) the upper part of the human body or the front part of the body in animals; contains the face and brains; "he stuck his head out the window"
2. (v) to go or travel towards; "where is she heading" "We were headed for the mountains"
3. (n) a single domestic animal; "200 head of cattle"
4. (v) be in charge of; "Who is heading this project?"
5. (v) travel in front of; go in advance of others; "The procession was headed by John"
6. (n) that which is responsible for one''s thoughts and feelings; the seat of the faculty of reason; "his mind wandered" "I couldn''t get his words out of my head"
7. (v) be the first or leading member of (a group) and excel; "This student heads the class"
8. (n) a person who is in charge; "the head of the whole operation"
9. (n) the front of a military formation or procession; "the head of the column advanced boldly" "they were at the head of the attack"
10. (v) direct the course; determine the direction of travelling
11. (n) the pressure exerted by a fluid; "a head of steam"
12. (v) take its rise; "These rivers head from a mountain range in the Himalayas"
13. (n) the top of something; "the head of the stairs" "the head of the page" "the head of the list"
14. (v) be in the front of or on top of; "The list was headed by the name of the president"
15. (n) the source of water from which a stream arises; "they tracked him back toward the head of the stream"
16. (v) form a head or come or grow to a head; "The wheat headed early this year"
17. (n) (grammar) the word in a grammatical constituent that plays the same grammatical role as the whole constituent
18. (v) remove the head of; "head the fish"
19. (n) the tip of an abscess (where the pus accumulates)
20. (n) the length or height based on the size of a human or animal head; "he is two heads taller than his little sister" "his horse won by a head"
21. (n) a dense clusters of flowers or foliage; "a head of cauliflower" "a head of lettuce"
22. (n) the educator who has executive authority for a school; "she sent unruly pupils to see the principal"
23. (n) an individual person; "tickets are $5 per head"
24. (n) a user of (usually soft) drugs; "the office was full of secret heads"
25. (n) a rounded compact mass; "the head of a comet"
26. (n) the foam or froth that accumulates at the top when you pour an effervescent liquid into a container; "the beer had a large head of foam"
27. (n) the part in the front or nearest the viewer; "he was in the forefront" "he was at the head of the column"
28. (n) a difficult juncture; "a pretty pass" "matters came to a head yesterday"
29. (n) forward movement; "the ship made little headway against the gale"
30. (n) a V-shaped mark at one end of an arrow pointer; "the point of the arrow was due north"
31. (n) the subject matter at issue; "the question of disease merits serious discussion" "under the head of minor Roman poets"
32. (n) a line of text serving to indicate what the passage below it is about; "the heading seemed to have little to do with the text"
33. (n) the rounded end of a bone that bits into a rounded cavity in another bone to form a joint; "the head of the humerus"
34. (n) that part of a skeletal muscle that is away from the bone that it moves
35. (n) (computer science) a tiny electromagnetic coil and metal pole used to write and read magnetic patterns on a disk
36. (n) (usually plural) an obverse side of a coin that bears the representation of a person''s head; "call heads or tails!"
37. (n) the striking part of a tool; "the head of the hammer"
38. (n) (nautical) a toilet on board a boat or ship
39. (n) a projection out from one end; "the head of the nail", "a pinhead is the head of a pin"
40. (n) a membrane that is stretched taut over a drum
41. (n) oral-genital stimulation; "they say he gives good head"
WordNet 2.1 Copyright Princeton University. All rights reserved.