Find a word
Dictionary definition for:
1. (n) the locus of feelings and intuitions; "in your heart you know it is true" "her story would melt your bosom"
2. (n) the hollow muscular organ located behind the sternum and between the lungs; its rhythmic contractions pump blood through the body; "he stood still, his heart thumping wildly"
3. (n) the courage to carry on; "he kept fighting on pure spunk" "you haven''t got the heart for baseball"
4. (n) an area that is approximately central within some larger region; "it is in the center of town" "they ran forward into the heart of the struggle" "they were in the eye of the storm"
5. (n) the choicest or most essential or most vital part of some idea or experience; "the gist of the prosecutor''s argument" "the heart and soul of the Republican Party" "the nub of the story"
6. (n) an inclination or tendency of a certain kind; "he had a change of heart"
7. (n) a plane figure with rounded sides curving inward at the top and intersecting at the bottom; conventionally used on playing cards and valentines; "he drew a heart and called it a valentine"
8. (n) a firm rather dry variety meat (usually beef or veal) "a five-pound beef heart will serve six"
9. (n) a positive feeling of liking; "he had trouble expressing the affection he felt" "the child won everyone''s heart"
10. (n) a playing card in the major suit of hearts; "he led the queen of hearts"
WordNet 2.1 Copyright Princeton University. All rights reserved.