Find a word
Dictionary definition for:
1. (n) a specific instance of feeling hopeful; "it revived their hope of winning the pennant"
2. (v) expect and wish; "I trust you will behave better from now on" "I hope she understands that she cannot expect a raise"
3. (n) the general feeling that some desire will be fulfilled; "in spite of his troubles he never gave up hope"
4. (v) be optimistic; be full of hope; have hopes; "I am still hoping that all will turn out well"
5. (n) grounds for feeling hopeful about the future; "there is little or no promise that he will recover"
6. (v) intend with some possibility of fulfilment; "I hope to have finished this work by tomorrow evening"
7. (n) someone (or something) on which expectations are centered; "he was their best hope for a victory"
8. (n) United States comedian (born in England) who appeared in films with Bing Crosby (born in 1903)
9. (n) one of the three Christian virtues
WordNet 2.1 Copyright Princeton University. All rights reserved.