Find a word
Dictionary definition for:
1. (v) cause to be unpretentious; "This experience will humble him"
2. (s) low or inferior in station or quality; "a humble cottage" "a lowly parish priest" "a modest man of the people" "small beginnings"
3. (v) cause to feel shame; hurt the pride of; "He humiliated his colleague by criticising him in front of the boss"
4. (a) marked by meekness or modesty; not arrogant or prideful; "a humble apology" "essentially humble...and self-effacing, he achieved the highest formal honors and distinctions"- B.K.Malinowski
5. (s) used of unskilled work (especially domestic work)
6. (s) of low birth or station (`base" is archaic in this sense) "baseborn wretches with dirty faces" "of humble (or lowly) birth"
WordNet 2.1 Copyright Princeton University. All rights reserved.