Find a word
Dictionary definition for:
1. (n) a power to affect persons or events especially power based on prestige etc; "used her parents" influence to get the job"
2. (v) have and exert influence or effect; "The artist''s work influenced the young painter" "She worked on her friends to support the political candidate"
3. (n) causing something without any direct or apparent effort
4. (v) shape or influence; give direction to; "experience often determines ability" "mold public opinion"
5. (n) a cognitive factor that tends to have an effect on what you do; "her wishes had a great influence on his thinking"
6. (v) induce into action by using one''s charm; "She charmed him into giving her all his money"
7. (n) the effect of one thing (or person) on another; "the influence of mechanical action"
8. (n) one having power to influence another; "she was the most important influence in my life" "he was a bad influence on the children"
WordNet 2.1 Copyright Princeton University. All rights reserved.