Find a word
Dictionary definition for:
1. (v) cause to die; put to death, usually intentionally or knowingly; "This man killed several people when he tried to rob a bank" "The farmer killed a pig for the holidays"
2. (n) the act of terminating a life
3. (v) thwart the passage of; "kill a motion" "he shot down the student''s proposal"
4. (n) the destruction of an enemy plane or ship or tank or missile; "the pilot reported two kills during the mission"
5. (v) cause the death of, without intention; "She was killed in the collision of three cars"
6. (v) end or extinguish by forceful means; "Stamp out poverty!"
7. (v) be fatal; "cigarettes kill" "drunken driving kills"
8. (v) be the source of great pain for; "These new shoes are killing me!"
9. (v) overwhelm with hilarity, pleasure, or admiration; "The comedian was so funny, he was killing me!"
10. (v) hit with so much force as to make a return impossible, in racket games; "She killed the ball"
11. (v) hit with great force; "He killed the ball"
12. (v) deprive of life; "AIDS has killed thousands in Africa"
13. (v) drink down entirely; "He downed three martinis before dinner" "She killed a bottle of brandy that night" "They popped a few beer after work"
14. (v) mark for deletion, rub off, or erase; "kill these lines in the President''s speech"
15. (v) tire out completely; "The daily stress of her work is killing her"
16. (v) cause to cease operating; "kill the engine"
17. (v) destroy a vitally essential quality of or in; "Eating artichokes kills the taste of all other foods"
WordNet 2.1 Copyright Princeton University. All rights reserved.