Find a word
Dictionary definition for:
1. (n) legal document setting forth rules governing a particular kind of activity; "there is a law against kidnapping"
2. (n) the collection of rules imposed by authority; "civilization presupposes respect for the law" "the great problem for jurisprudence to allow freedom while enforcing order"
3. (n) a generalization that describes recurring facts or events in nature; "the laws of thermodynamics"
4. (n) a rule or body of rules of conduct inherent in human nature and essential to or binding upon human society
5. (n) the learned profession that is mastered by graduate study in a law school and that is responsible for the judicial system; "he studied law at Yale"
6. (n) the force of policemen and officers; "the law came looking for him"
7. (n) the branch of philosophy concerned with the law and the principles that lead courts to make the decisions they do
WordNet 2.1 Copyright Princeton University. All rights reserved.