Find a word
Dictionary definition for:
1. (n) a characteristic state or mode of living; "social life" "city life" "real life"
2. (n) the course of existence of an individual; the actions and events that occur in living; "he hoped for a new life in Australia" "he wanted to live his own life without interference from others"
3. (n) the experience of living; the course of human events and activities; "he could no longer cope with the complexities of life"
4. (n) the condition of living or the state of being alive; "while there''s life there''s hope" "life depends on many chemical and physical processes"
5. (n) the period during which something is functional (as between birth and death) "the battery had a short life" "he lived a long and happy life"
6. (n) the period between birth and the present time; "I have known him all his life"
7. (n) animation and energy in action or expression; "it was a heavy play and the actors tried in vain to give life to it"
8. (n) an account of the series of events making up a person''s life
9. (n) the period from the present until death; "he appointed himself emperor for life"
10. (n) a living person; "his heroism saved a life"
11. (n) living things collectively; "the oceans are teeming with life"
12. (n) a motive for living; "pottery was his life"
13. (n) the organic phenomenon that distinguishes living organisms from nonliving ones; "there is no life on the moon"
14. (n) a prison term lasting as long as the prisoner lives; "he got life for killing the guard"
WordNet 2.1 Copyright Princeton University. All rights reserved.