Find a word
Dictionary definition for:
1. (n) a fastener fitted to a door or drawer to keep it firmly closed
2. (v) fasten with a lock; "lock the bike to the fence"
3. (v) keep engaged; "engaged the gears"
4. (n) a strand or cluster of hair
5. (v) become rigid or immoveable; "The therapist noticed that the patient''s knees tended to lock in this exercise"
6. (n) a mechanism that detonates the charge of a gun
7. (v) hold in a locking position; "He locked his hands around her neck"
8. (n) enclosure consisting of a section of canal that can be closed to control the water level; used to raise or lower vessels that pass through it
9. (n) a restraint incorporated into the ignition switch to prevent the use of a vehicle by persons who do not have the key
10. (v) become engaged or intermeshed with one another; "They were locked in embrace"
11. (v) hold fast (in a certain state) "He was locked in a laughing fit"
12. (n) any wrestling hold in which some part of the opponent''s body is twisted or pressured
13. (v) place in a place where something cannot be removed or someone cannot escape; "The parents locked her daughter up for the weekend" "She locked her jewels in the safe"
14. (v) pass by means through a lock in a waterway
15. (v) build locks in order to facilitate the navigation of vessels
WordNet 2.1 Copyright Princeton University. All rights reserved.