Find a word
Dictionary definition for:
1. (n) that which has mass and occupies space; "an atom is the smallest indivisible unit of matter"
2. (v) have weight; have import, carry weight; "It does not matter much"
3. (n) a vaguely specified concern; "several matters to attend to" "it is none of your affair" "things are going well"
4. (n) some situation or event that is thought about; "he kept drifting off the topic" "he had been thinking about the subject for several years" "it is a matter for the police"
5. (n) a problem; "is anything the matter?"
6. (n) (used with negation) having consequence; "they were friends and it was no matter who won the games"
7. (n) written works (especially in books or magazines) "he always took some reading matter with him on the plane"
WordNet 2.1 Copyright Princeton University. All rights reserved.