Find a word
Dictionary definition for:
1. (v) determine the measurements of something or somebody, take measurements of; "Measure the length of the wall"
2. (n) the act or process of measuring; "the measurements were carefully done" "his mental measurings proved remarkably accurate"
3. (v) express as a number or measure or quantity; "Can you quantify your results?"
4. (n) a basis for comparison; a reference point against which other things can be evaluated; "they set the measure for all subsequent work"
5. (n) how much there is of something that you can quantify
6. (v) have certain dimensions; "This table surfaces measures 20inches by 36 inches"
7. (n) any maneuver made as part of progress toward a goal; "the situation called for strong measures" "the police took steps to reduce crime"
8. (v) place a value on; judge the worth of something; "I will have the family jewels appraised by a professional"
9. (n) a statute in draft before it becomes law; "they held a public hearing on the bill"
10. (n) (prosody) the accent in a metrical foot of verse
11. (n) musical notation for a repeating pattern of musical beats; "the orchestra omitted the last twelve bars of the song"
12. (n) measuring instrument having a sequence of marks at regular intervals; used as a reference in making measurements
WordNet 2.1 Copyright Princeton University. All rights reserved.