Find a word
Dictionary definition for:
1. (n) the atomic process that occurs during a chemical reaction; "he determined unique mechanisms for the photochemical reactions"
2. (n) the technical aspects of doing something; "a mechanism of social control" "mechanisms of communication" "the mechanics of prose style"
3. (n) a natural object resembling a machine in structure or function; "the mechanism of the ear" "the mechanism of infection"
4. (n) (philosophy) the philosophical theory that all phenomena can be explained in terms of physical or biological causes
5. (n) device consisting of a piece of machinery; has moving parts that perform some function
WordNet 2.1 Copyright Princeton University. All rights reserved.