Find a word
Dictionary definition for:
1. (n) any person in the armed services who holds a position of authority or command; "an officer is responsible for the lives of his men"
2. (v) direct or command as an officer
3. (n) someone who is appointed or elected to an office and who holds a position of trust; "he is an officer of the court" "the club elected its officers for the coming year"
4. (n) a member of a police force; "it was an accident, officer"
5. (n) a person authorized to serve in a position of authority on a vessel; "he is the officer in charge of the ship''s engines"
WordNet 2.1 Copyright Princeton University. All rights reserved.