Find a word
Dictionary definition for:
1. (a) first or beginning; "the memorable opening bars of Beethoven''s Fifth" "the play''s opening scene"
2. (n) an open or empty space in or between things; "there was a small opening between the trees" "the explosion made a gap in the wall"
3. (n) a ceremony accompanying the start of some enterprise
4. (n) becoming open or being made open; "the opening of his arms was the sign I was waiting for"
5. (n) the first performance (as of a theatrical production) "the opening received good critical reviews"
6. (n) the act of opening something; "the ray of light revealed his cautious opening of the door"
7. (n) opportunity especially for employment or promotion; "there is an opening in the sales department"
8. (n) the initial part of the introduction; "the opening established the basic theme"
9. (n) a possible alternative; "bankruptcy is always a possibility"
10. (n) an aperture or hole opening into a bodily cavity; "the orifice into the aorta from the lower left chamber of the heart"
11. (n) a vacant or unobstructed space that is man-made; "they left a small opening for the cat at the bottom of the door"
12. (n) an entrance equipped with a hatch; especially a passageway between decks of a ship
13. (n) the first of a series of actions; "he memorized all the important chess openings"
WordNet 2.1 Copyright Princeton University. All rights reserved.