Dictionary definition for: Operation
1. (n) a business especially one run on a large scale; "a large-scale farming operation" "a multinational operation" "they paid taxes on every stage of the operation" "they had to consolidate their operations"
2. (n) a planned activity involving many people performing various actions; "they organized a rescue operation" "the biggest police operation in French history" "running a restaurant is quite an operation" "consolidate the companies various operations"
5. (n) a medical procedure involving an incision with instruments; performed to repair damage or arrest disease in a living body; "they will schedule the operation as soon as an operating room is available" "he died while undergoing surgery"
7. (n) (computer science) data processing in which the result is completely specified by a rule (especially the processing that results from a single instruction) "it can perform millions of operations per second"
8. (n) process or manner of functioning or operating; "the power of its engine determine its operation" "the plane''s operation in high winds" "they compared the cooking performance of each oven" "the jet''s performance conformed to high standards"
9. (n) (mathematics) calculation by mathematical methods; "the problems at the end of the chapter demonstrated the mathematical processes involved in the derivation" "they were learning the basic operations of arithmetic"
WordNet 2.1 Copyright Princeton University. All rights reserved.