Find a word
Dictionary definition for:
1. (v) plan or create according to a model or models
2. (n) a perceptual structure; "the composition presents problems for students of musical form" "a visual pattern must include not only objects but the spaces between them"
3. (n) a customary way of operation or behavior; "it is their practice to give annual raises" "they changed their dietary pattern"
4. (v) form a pattern; "These sentences pattern like the ones we studied before"
5. (n) a decorative or artistic work; "the coach had a design on the doors"
6. (n) something regarded as a normative example; "the convention of not naming the main character" "violence is the rule not the exception" "his formula for impressing visitors"
7. (n) a model considered worthy of imitation; "the American constitution has provided a pattern for many republics"
8. (n) something intended as a guide for making something else; "a blueprint for a house" "a pattern for a skirt"
9. (n) the path that is prescribed for an airplane that is preparing to land at an airport; "the traffic patterns around O''Hare are very crowded" "they stayed in the pattern until the fog lifted"
10. (n) graphical representation (in polar or cartesian coordinates) of the spatial distribution of radiation from an antenna as a function of angle
WordNet 2.1 Copyright Princeton University. All rights reserved.