Find a word
Dictionary definition for:
1. (n) an aircraft that has a fixed wing and is powered by propellers or jets; "the flight was delayed due to trouble with the airplane"
2. (v) cut or remove with or as if with a plane; "The machine shaved off fine layers from the piece of wood"
3. (s) having a horizontal surface in which no part is higher or lower than another; "a flat desk" "acres of level farmland" "a plane surface"
4. (n) (mathematics) an unbounded two-dimensional shape; "we will refer to the plane of the graph as the X-Y plane" "any line joining two points on a plane lies wholly on that plane"
5. (v) travel on the surface of water
6. (n) a level of existence or development; "he lived on a worldly plane"
7. (v) make even or smooth, with or as with a carpenter''s plane; "plane the top of the door"
8. (n) a power tool for smoothing or shaping wood
9. (n) a carpenter''s hand tool with an adjustable blade for smoothing or shaping wood; "the cabinetmaker used a plane for the finish work"
WordNet 2.1 Copyright Princeton University. All rights reserved.