Find a word
Dictionary definition for:
1. (n) a long (usually round) rod of wood or metal or plastic
2. (v) propel with a pole; "pole barges on the river" "We went punting in Cambridge"
3. (n) a native or inhabitant of Poland
4. (v) support on poles; "pole climbing plants like beans"
5. (n) one of two divergent or mutually exclusive opinions; "they are at opposite poles" "they are poles apart"
6. (v) deoxidize molten metals by stirring them with a wooden pole
7. (n) a linear measure of 16.5 feet
8. (n) a square rod of land
9. (n) one of two points of intersection of the Earth''s axis and the celestial sphere
10. (n) one of two antipodal points where the Earth''s axis of rotation intersects the Earth''s surface
11. (n) a contact on an electrical device (such as a battery) at which electric current enters or leaves
12. (n) a long fiberglass sports implement used for pole vaulting
13. (n) one of the two ends of a magnet where the magnetism seems to be concentrated
WordNet 2.1 Copyright Princeton University. All rights reserved.