Find a word
Dictionary definition for:
1. (n) the force applied to a unit area of surface; measured in pascals (SI unit) or in dynes (cgs unit) "the compressed gas exerts an increased pressure"
2. (v) to cause to do through pressure or necessity, by physical, moral or intellectual means :"She forced him to take a job in the city" "He squeezed her for information"
3. (n) a force that compels; "the public brought pressure to bear on the government"
4. (v) exert pressure on someone through threats
5. (n) the act of pressing; the exertion of pressure; "he gave the button a press" "he used pressure to stop the bleeding" "at the pressing of a button"
6. (n) the state of urgently demanding notice or attention; "the press of business matters"
7. (n) the somatic sensation of pressure; "the sensitivity of his skin to pressure and temperature was normal"
8. (n) an oppressive condition of physical or mental or social or economic distress
WordNet 2.1 Copyright Princeton University. All rights reserved.