Find a word
Dictionary definition for:
1. (v) make or take a proof of, such as a photographic negative, an etching, or typeset
2. (n) any factual evidence that helps to establish the truth of something; "if you have any proof for what you say, now is the time to produce it"
3. (v) knead to reach proper lightness; "proof dough"
4. (n) a formal series of statements showing that if one thing is true something else necessarily follows from it
5. (v) read for errors; "I should proofread my manuscripts"
6. (n) a measure of alcoholic strength expressed as an integer twice the percentage of alcohol present (by volume)
7. (v) activate by mixing with water and sometimes sugar or milk; "proof yeast"
8. (n) (printing) an impression made to check for errors
9. (v) make resistant to water, sound, errors, etc.; "proof the materials against shrinking in the dryer"
10. (n) a trial photographic print from a negative
11. (n) the act of validating; finding or testing the truth of something
WordNet 2.1 Copyright Princeton University. All rights reserved.