Find a word
Dictionary definition for:
1. (n) the acquisition of something for payment; "they closed the purchase with a handshake"
2. (v) obtain by purchase; acquire by means of a financial transaction; "The family purchased a new car" "The conglomerate acquired a new company" "She buys for the big department store"
3. (n) something acquired by purchase
4. (n) a means of exerting influence or gaining advantage; "he could get no purchase on the situation"
5. (n) the mechanical advantage gained by being in a position to use a lever
WordNet 2.1 Copyright Princeton University. All rights reserved.