Find a word
Dictionary definition for:
1. (n) amount of a charge or payment relative to some basis; "a 10-minute phone call at that rate would cost $5"
2. (v) assign a rank or rating to; "how would you rank these students?" "The restaurant is rated highly in the food guide"
3. (n) a magnitude or frequency relative to a time unit; "they traveled at a rate of 55 miles per hour" "the rate of change was faster than expected"
4. (v) be worthy of or have a certain rating; "This bond rates highly"
5. (n) the relative speed of progress or change; "he lived at a fast pace" "he works at a great rate" "the pace of events accelerated"
6. (v) estimate the value of; "How would you rate his chances to become President?" "Gold was rated highly among the Romans"
WordNet 2.1 Copyright Princeton University. All rights reserved.