Find a word
Dictionary definition for:
1. (v) make reference to; "His name was mentioned in connection with the invention"
2. (v) have to do with or be relevant to; "There were lots of questions referring to her talk" "My remark pertained to your earlier comments"
3. (v) think of, regard, or classify under a subsuming principle or with a general group or in relation to another; "This plant can be referred to a known species"
4. (v) send or direct for treatment, information, or a decision; "refer a patient to a specialist" "refer a bill to a committee"
5. (v) seek information from; "You should consult the dictionary" "refer to your notes"
6. (v) have as a meaning; "multi-" denotes "many" "
WordNet 2.1 Copyright Princeton University. All rights reserved.