Find a word
Dictionary definition for:
1. (v) improve or perfect by pruning or polishing; "refine one''s style of writing"
2. (v) make more complex, intricate, or richer; "refine a design or pattern"
3. (v) treat or prepare so as to put in a usable condition; "refine paper stock" "refine pig iron" "refine oil"
4. (v) reduce to a fine, unmixed, or pure state; separate from extraneous matter or cleanse from impurities; "refine sugar"
5. (v) attenuate or reduce in vigor, strength, or validity by polishing or purifying; "many valuable nutrients are refined out of the foods in our modern diet"
6. (v) make more precise or increase the discriminatory powers of; "refine a method of analysis" "refine the constant in the equation"
WordNet 2.1 Copyright Princeton University. All rights reserved.