Find a word
Dictionary definition for:
1. (v) release, as from one''s grip; "Let go of the door handle, please!" "relinquish your grip on the rope--you won''t fall"
2. (n) merchandise issued for sale or public showing (especially a record or film) "a new release from the London Symphony Orchestra"
3. (n) the act of liberating someone or something
4. (v) grant freedom to; free from confinement
5. (v) let (something) fall or spill a container; "turn the flour onto a plate"
6. (n) a process that liberates or discharges something; "there was a sudden release of oxygen" "the release of iodine from the thyroid gland"
7. (n) an announcement distributed to members of the press in order to supplement or replace an oral presentation
8. (v) eliminate (substances) from the body
9. (n) the termination of someone''s employment (leaving them free to depart)
10. (v) prepare and issue for public distribution or sale; "publish a magazine or newspaper"
11. (n) euphemistic expressions for death; "thousands mourned his passing"
12. (v) generate and separate from cells or bodily fluids; "secrete digestive juices" "release a hormone into the blood stream"
13. (v) make (information) available publication; "release the list with the names of the prisoners"
14. (n) a legal document evidencing the discharge of a debt or obligation
15. (v) part with a possession or right; "I am relinquishing my bedroom to the long-term house guest" "resign a claim to the throne"
16. (n) activity that releases or expresses creative energy or emotion; "she had no other outlet for her feelings" "he gave vent to his anger"
17. (n) the act of allowing a fluid to escape
18. (v) make (assets) available; "release the holdings in the dictator''s bank account"
19. (n) a formal written statement of relinquishment
20. (n) (music) the act or manner of terminating a musical phrase or tone
WordNet 2.1 Copyright Princeton University. All rights reserved.